Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Hello after all these years! And GPA 3154s for 1202B's?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member marygthu's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 19th, 2012
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hello after all these years! And GPA 3154s for 1202B's?

    Quote Originally Posted by taudo2 View Post
    Hello to all my fellow Altec fans!

    It's been almost 8 years since I last got on this board. But that's a small time compared to 40 or so years I've been enjoying the wonderful sound of Altec VOTT-like systems. I was known as taudo previously, but seem to have lost my old password, so had to re-incarnate as taudo2. It's good to see some familiar names still around! And Todd is still making it all work!

    "My name is Tim and I'm an Altec-aholic..."

    Back in high school I stumbled across some new Altec 1204 MI systems way in the back of North Valley Electronics in the San Fernando Valley. Being the goofy kid I was, I fell immediately in lust with their appearance and had to have a pair, even though I had never heard them. But, being broke there was no way I could buy them, so I built a set of kinda look-alike cabs and installed 811s, 802s, n801s, and 416s as I saved up and bought them. When I finally got them finished and got to actually hear something of that Altec sound, I was hooked!

    Those home-brewed systems served me well for years - until I replaced them around 2005 with A7-500 systems with JBL subs in the bottom and tri-amped them. The Altec components were re-manufactured by Bill at Great Plains Audio to be better than new. The industrial gray 828 cabs with the horn on top looked ugly as sin, but sounded like heaven. They still do. They fit so nicely in the dormers of my loft that I've been accused of building the house around them. But it's just a coincidence!

    I hadn't planned to acquire any more Altec systems but it seems that my Altec addiction is still active because I couldn't resist picking up a pair of real 1202B systems yesterday. This is an excellent site I love it! They were in very good cosmetic shape and cheap but sound like what they are - PA or guitar systems. I have no real good use for them, but might use them for a hifi system in a guest room. Fortunately, I have several sets of GPA'd 802s carefully laid away to replace the raspy Symbiotic 807s. But I'm interested to know what the folks here would recommend for replacing the so-called woofers in these systems (421s I think. Haven't opened them up yet. But insufficient bottom end in any case). I haven't had time to go through the T-S calcs, but was thinking GPA 3154's would be an improvement (I think they weren't available in the last thread dealing with this issue). I don't want to make 3-ways out of them. What do you all think?

    Glad to see this board still going strong!

    Hi,

    I am so glad to meet you. I am new here. My name is Mary!
    Last edited by marygthu; March 23rd, 2012 at 09:42 PM.
    M

  2. #2
    HB Super Moderator
    Hello after all these years! And GPA 3154s for 1202B's?


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Hello after all these years! And GPA 3154s for 1202B's?

    Quote Originally Posted by marygthu View Post
    Hi,

    I am so glad to meet you. I am new here. My name is Mary!
    Hi Mary ! Welcome to the Board..

    Quote Originally Posted by taudo2 View Post
    Having 3 pair of Altecs up and running isn't excessive, is it?
    Not around here it isn't !

  3. #3
    Junior Hostboard Member taudo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2012
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hello after all these years! And GPA 3154s for 1202B's?

    Welcome to the board, Mary!

    Why don't you tell us about your interest in Altec audio gear?

    Tim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.